Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Only Constant Thing is Change

I've worked hard over the past few years, and I've come a long way since starting this journey. I've experienced euphoric victories, and also felt so low I didn't think I'd feel accomplished or happy again. I've been able to do things I never thought possible, and also felt like I was beating my head against a brick wall. It's been a crazy couple of years, all working towards the goal of completing a marathon next year - and I don't think that's going to happen. That goal's going to have to change.

Despite all of my accomplishments and persistence over the past few years, I'm realizing that a full marathon next year, isn't very likely. I've dealt with several injuries in my back, my knees and my hips, and all that's added up to slower progress than I anticipated. My training plan has changed from one of cardio endurance and stronger running, to one of strengthening my joints - especially my hips, to prevent further injuries from cropping up.

Here's the kicker though, it's hard sometimes, but I'm not letting that get me down. Slow progress is still progress. I will still do that marathon, just not when I thought I would. The timeline I set for myself doesn't look like I thought it would.

Fitness is a journey. For most people, it's a long journey. For pretty much everyone, it's a longer journey than anticipated, and that's certainly the case for me. I thought I would be much closer to my healthy/ideal weight a year or two into my journey. Here I am 3 years in and I still have around 100lbs to lose. Will that get me down? No. I'm still fighting. Still working. Still persevering.

I'm changing my plans and changing my goals, but I'm not giving up. You'll have to push goals back. You'll have to adjust your plans, and that's okay! Plans are not written in stone and sealed in blood! Change them as you need to, just don't let that get you down!

Keep fighting. Keep pushing. Don't give up.


No comments:

Post a Comment