Sunday, September 25, 2011

U-Turn

Yesterday was the dreaded ISC Corporate Challenge. I got up about 45 minutes after I planned on getting up so I was very rushed in getting ready, and stressed the entire drive there about getting there on time. (Even to the point of potentially very dangerously taking my vitamins with my meal shake while driving, which I DO NOT recommend you do at home!)

 When I got there, I walked all over the field trying to find my team, and I turned out to actually be one of the first people there. I awkwardly stood around trying to find other overweight people so I didn't feel like such as sore thumb sticking out in a crowd of super athletes. After I started talking to people from my office and broke out of my shell a bit (which is something I'm finding is getting easier and easier!) I started feeling really good! In the matter of just a few minutes, I went from wanted to crawl in the back seat of my car and hide under anything I could find, to feeling pumped, feeling energized, and ready to run the 5 mile run that was about to take place! Of course I didn't run the 5-mile run, but the point is, I was feeling good!

 I started talking to someone from the department next to mine and we agreed after a few minutes, that next year, she and I were going to do the 5-mile run together. We even high-fived about it! Later on I decided that I would be fine with either the 5-mile run, or the 5K run, but I want to do at least one running event at the Corporate Challenge next year!

 As the event went on, I got even more comfortable, and I think I helped a few others, who were really shy, feel more comfortable. The only event I was doing was the Tug-of-War, which originally I was going to do that and the 5K walk, but Kelsey took me out of the 5K walk so I would have fresh legs for Tug-of-War. Something I didn't think would be a big deal, but I'll get into that in a minute! While getting ready for Tug-of-War, I was watching the people around me and I felt so inspired and so encouraged. All around me I saw athleticism. All around me I saw camaraderie. All around me I saw people supporting their teammates and co-workers.

 Watching the runners run towards the finish line was inspiring in itself and I kept telling myself: "This is going to be me next year!"

 I was surprised when Kelsey told me that she didn't want me to do the 5K walk, especially when she knows how hard I'm working toward a marathon by 2015. After the event started, though, I understood why! We all made sure we had cleats and gloves for the event and we NEEDED THEM! The first team we went against were tough, but we beat them. The next one was a bit easier, but was still a fight. I got several comments after that pull about my screaming and, I'm guessing, the intense/fierce look on my face. By the 3rd pull, however, I was digging deep, but after pulling for what seemed like several minutes (was probably actually only a few seconds) with absolutely everything I had, I just had nothing left. I held on to the rope as hard as I could, but I could see it slipping through my gloved hands.

 It was a hard fight, and afterwards, I felt it. My legs were shot. My arms were stiff. My hands felt so weak it was hard for me to pick up an apple, or peel my banana! At that point, I understood why Kelsey didn't want me to do both! I wouldn't have lasted through the first pull after walking as fast and hard as I could. This morning I work up and every muscle from one elbow, to the other was very sore. Even some muscles in my forearms and my abs were also sore!  It's eye-opening too, that I was able to last as long as the others in my team pulling that rope.  They got tired pretty much as soon as I did.  Granted, I think they recovered faster, but the point is, I'm getting stronger, and in better shape!

Overall, I'm feeling much better about my weight loss journey! After the Corporate Challenge and the encouragement of my friends, I feel encouraged and ready to hit the treadmill again tomorrow!

 Wish me perseverance!

No comments:

Post a Comment